Friday, January 12, 2018

Can't Live Without 2018 Edition

One last time, one last list.  This one is a little harder than most because this time I want to think about it, which 10 comics do I want to be around for as long as possible?  Which 10 would be the ones I would read if stranded on a deserted island?  Which 10 out of all of those I covered in the last two weeks should be here?  You get 3 freebies, the rest. . .

1.  Sluggy Freelance - First freebie.  Yes, I do still expect to end, but not for another year or two at least.  Too much ground to cover to finish it properly.  But when it does, promises to keep. . .

2.  Schlock Mercenary - Second freebie.  While there are a few better sci fi comics, most of them don't update as frequently and are as expensive as Schlock.  And it'll likely be around for a long, long time.

3.  Gunnerkrigg Court - Last freebie.  There is a LOT to love about this comic, so much I would recommend it to, well, everyone.  You have read it by now, RIGHT?

4.  Stand Still, Stay Silent - This comic is wonderful.  Easily one of the best right here and worth all the attention that it can be given.

5.  Between Failures - Likely one of the most grounded comics I read and one that manages to keep me hooked on the next thing.

6.  Namesake - The twist on fairy tales, how it incorporates more modern fiction into the mix, and of course the characters that run around make this one of my favorites.

7.  Sunstone - Started life as bondage pinups, turned into a love story.  I'm a sucker for nice art and happy endings (either kind I suppose), and this one is definetly that.  With the second book, Mercy, slowly coming out, I'll be reading this for a while.

8.  Ava's Demon - My most recent find and spectacular looking too boot.  If it manages some regular updates, it'll likely be one to have for the long haul.

9.  Our Time in Eden - I don't talk much about this comic since it updates very slowly, but damn is it good, and dark, and depressing.

10.  UnCONventional - I know nothing of running conventions, but you don't need to to enjoy this comic and I do.  And some of the best stick figure art there is, which is just as weird writing it as you reading it.

And that's it.  No honorable mentions this year because I kind of did that already.

Next time, promises to keep.  Until then kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment